- Patterns- something that repeats
Examples: symmetries, trees, spirals, waves, cracks, stripes…
- Cause and Effect- one is the result of the other
Example: When water is heated, the molecules move quickly, therefore the water boils.
- Scale- at the required size to solve the problem, can refer to time and space
Examples: seeing small things in a microscope, examining what happened over the last 100 years…
Proportion- comparative relation between things or magnitudes as it relates to size, quantity & number Example: speed as the ratio of distance traveled to time taken
Quantity- an infinite, determinate or estimated amount or number
Example: How many apples are in a barrel
- Systems- a regularly interacting or interdependent group of items forming a unified whole Examples: Solar system, human body systems
Systems Models- models that can be used for understanding and predicting the behavior of systems Example: Water Cycle poster
- Energy- power derived from use of physical or chemical resources
Examples: electrical, mechanical, chemical, thermal or nuclear
Matter- anything that takes up space and has mass
Examples: water, oil, blood, lava, rocks, sugar, wood, helium, oxygen, hydrogen…
- Structure- refers to something’s form, makeup or arrangement
- Function- refers to something’s job, role, task or responsibility
*Structure determines Function!!
Example: Teeth- the structure of sharp teeth (incisors) tear food and the flat teeth
(Molars) grind food in tiny pieces. The function is to break down food in tiny pieces so it can be swallowed.
- Stability- ability of a substance to remain unchanged over time
Example: a dam at a constant level with steady quantities of water coming in and out
- Change- to make or become different
Example: The rainforest is losing trees due to deforestation.